Today marks the official launch of Smart Packaging Europe, an alliance of companies active in making and recycling expanded polystyrene (EPS) packaging in Europe, as well as producing the raw materials for EPS packaging.
Brussels — Our mission is to contribute to a more circular, sustainable economy in Europe by raising awareness of the economic, social and environmental benefits of EPS packaging.
Yes, you heard right! Although it is currently all the rage to demonise all sorts of plastics, some of them are actually indispensable for things like keeping our food safe, protecting all sorts of goods from damage during transport and protecting people from shocks and bumps as well. You can see lots of examples on the Why EPS? page on this website. We have captured all the most common, unique and under-appreciated examples we could find there and on the Sustainability page.
This blog is the place where we’ll continue to provide additional information on a regular basis long after the website launch.
We will share:
- EPS packaging industry news as it happens
- Feature stories on lesser-known uses of EPS “packaging” writ large—essentially everything other than construction materials, which are covered elsewhere
- Recycling and other sustainability stories—of which there are a lot more than most people realise
- Position papers on relevant regulatory or legislative initiatives
- and occasional interviews, people stories, infographics and photo essays.
We sincerely believe that EPS is a wonderful, under-appreciated packaging material and want to make sure that everyone else can find examples here of the types of things that excite us.
We hope you find what you’re looking for on our website and welcome your feedback.